The Roman-villa-esque open-air swimming baths in Ynysangharad Park, Pontypridd, opened in July 1927 and was the second largest open-air baths in South Wales - only the Cold Knap Baths at Barry were larger. Though broadly rectangular, the baths have half-circular shallow ends reflective of the need in the interwar years to keep male and female bathers separate!
Fifty changing boxes ran along the outer edge of the baths and seating was provided for spectators. Two fountains formed part of the water system pumping clean, fresh water in to the pool without being a nuisance aesthetically.
Construction of the baths, as with the park a few years earlier, was greatly assisted by a grant from the Miners' Welfare Fund. Following the decline in outdoor swimming in the 1980s and with pressure on financial resources of local authorities, the baths were briefly closed in the late-1980s and have been permanently shut since 1991. Granted Grade-II listing by Cadw in 2001.